hot girls read books about other hot girls

I have recently read some books that I really loved. I used to find it difficult to read books that didn't involve romance or completely made up/unrealistic scenarios because I thought these were the only books that offered escapism but I realised in the past couple of years that that is not true. I now find it hard to read romance at all because I just don't care for it if it isn't happening to me! I feel as though my taste in books has evolved and matured as I have entered adulthood and I can only describe these books as hot girl books (or hot depressed girl books? I don't know, it seems to be a running theme, but they are hot girls nonetheless.)

I believe my gateway into this made-up book genre was two years ago when I began reading The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides, which is now one of my absolute favourite books. My mum recommended that I read it and since then I have been taking a lot of her recommendations and also sharing books that I have read and loved with her.

In this post, I will be talking about two books that I think compliment each other well, one being fiction and the other a memoir. Although they are quite well-known books now, I think they perfectly reflect the types of books I love and have allowed me to branch out and find books that are similar. 

The first book I am going to be talking about is My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh, which has become quite a popular book on Twitter and Instagram now. This book is about a young, unnamed woman living in New York City who decides to spend an entire year taking prescribed medication and sleeping in her apartment. The book follows her thoughts on life, her family, her narcissistic and insecure best friend, and her toxic ex-boyfriend. Although I thought she was an unlikeable character, I found her thoughts really interesting and enjoyed a look in on the mind of a woman who is so fed up of life that she just ignores it for a year... something I sometimes wish I could do. 

I read quite a few reviews complaining about how unrelatable and over privileged she was as a character, and although I agree to an extent, I don't think characters should necessarily be relatable. I don't think you have to see yourself in something to enjoy it, it's often more interesting reading about types of people you have never experienced before and learn about more people than yourself in order to expand your understanding. That is one aspect I really liked about this book because I didn't want to relate to her (although I do like sleeping a lot), I was just absorbed in her thoughts.

I really loved Moshfegh's writing style, she continuously grasped my attention and I got through the book quicker than I do with most books. I will definitely be picking up her books again in the future!

Immediately after finishing My Year of Rest, I began Elizabeth Wurtzel's memoir Prozac Nation which was recommended to me a couple of times. This took me a little longer to read because it is very heavy. Partly because it's a real story and also because Wurtzel's thoughts are so intense and detailed; it really felt like she had dissected her brain and poured it into her writing. The book follows Wurtzel as a young, depressed woman, as she struggles to understand herself, her depression, and her feeling of  disconnect from the world around her. She discusses her family; her issues with her absent father and her mothers lack of understanding her, her relationships with friends throughout her life, her boyfriend's who she depended on for stability and happiness, and her growing success in her career in writing/journalism. It was very raw and emotional, humorous at times, but mostly it's a informative and pragmatic read. What made me want to read it most was a review by the New York Times that simply says 'Sylvia Plath with the ego of Madonna', this quote just holds power over me and I cant explain why.

My mum read Prozac Nation immediately after me and loved it, we are both huge fans of Wurtzel's writing and plan to read her other books very soon.

I am currently reading Viv Albertine's book Clothes Clothes Clothes Music Music Music Boys Boys Boys which I wanted to read because I distinctly remember my mum reading it on holiday a few years ago and being so engrossed in it and since then it has been on my reading list. I am loving it and feel like I'm getting an insight into what London was like in the 70s, which my parents go on an on about all the time! I havent seen this book spoken about ever so I thought I would mention it in this post just in case anyone is interested.

To finish off I would like to add a few honourable mentions of other books I've read that I think fit this genre and books I haven't read but have had recommended to me: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susann, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, The Secret History by Donna Tartt, Girl, Interrupted by Sussana Kaysen, Emma by Jane Austen, Women in the Picture by Catherine McCormack, The Days of Abandonment by Elena Ferrante, The Girls by Emma Cline, Bitch by Elizabeth Wurtzel, Just Kids by Patti Smith, Everything I know about Love by Dolly Alderton... I would love more recommendations so please send them my way!


Thank you for reading!

Love, Bella <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a few of my favourite things...

Dying for Art - An Exploration into the Beautification of Death

Pearl (2022) - The Red Dress Reframed